Solidarity with Ukraine: what is the role of local authorities?

Russia’s invasion of Ukraine sparked a huge movement of solidarity across the country. “Many local governments and their elected officials have mobilized their forces, as well as national associations of local elected officials,” says Minister of Territorial Unity and Local Relations Joel Giraud. In addition to humanitarian assistance to the civilian population of Ukraine, the issue of receiving people displaced by the conflict has quickly become one of the main problems of this crisis. This is a huge collective challenge that interests all actors of the territory: legal status, housing, education, health, access to employment, social support, many issues that need to be addressed.” In addition, in consultation with the elected officials’ associations, the Government is providing the elected officials’ associations with an operational document that addresses practical issues arising from the arrival of displaced persons. This online Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section is intended to be updated regularly as the various measures taken become clearer.

Persons displaced in France as a result of the war in Ukraine can benefit from temporary protection, the online FAQ clarifies from March 21, 2022. This exceptional system was activated by the decision of the Council of the European Union of March 4, 2022 Instructions of March 10, 2022 details of the device. Temporary protection gives you the right to:

  • Issuance of a temporary residence permit (APS) in France for a period of 6 months marked “beneficiary of temporary protection”, which can be extended for three consecutive years;
  • Asylum Seeker Allowance (ADA);
  • Permission to carry out professional activities without the need to obtain a work permit;
  • Access to health care through health care;
  • education of minor children;
  • Access to housing that meets the needs of the household, combined with appropriate social support;
  • Access to payment for Individual Housing Assistance (APL).
    Departmental prefects are the interlocutors of local elected officials in all operational aspects, the ministry reminds.

The FAQ then lists areas where local governments and their groups can intervene.

Transportation of displaced persons

Communities wishing to contribute to the transport of displaced persons are requested to contact the prefect of their department. For reasons of logistical efficiency, personal safety, and to guarantee a quality reception, it is recommended that local authorities participate in such operations only with the agreement and in consultation with the representative of the state, the ministry insists.

accommodation and lodging

Municipalities and Public Institutions for Inter-Municipal Cooperation (EPCI) are invited to compile a list of available municipal and inter-municipal housing through the online procedure available at or directly at the following address: https: //www

Here, again, the work of coordinating the various participants in the housing and communal services is carried out by the prefect of the department. With the help of a specially authorized operator, the prefect of the department will carry out the analysis, qualification and work with offers of housing and housing for citizens, and then the orientation of households to suitable housing offers in connection with competent associations, explains the FAQ. .

Children’s education

The website of the Ministry of National Education, Youth and Sports provides up-to-date information, as well as documents translated into Ukrainian:

City halls can turn to their usual interlocutors within the national education services. In addition, a “Ukrainian cell” has been created within each academy. The telephone number and email address of the Ukrainian cell of each academy is available on the ministry’s website. The national green number is also open: 08 00 00 55 16.

Canteen enrollment and extracurricular activities for displaced children are common law. Communities are encouraged to make it easier for them to sign up for these services when they exist.

student reception

Students enjoying temporary protection will be placed in higher education institutions. Applications for registration are centrally received by Campus France at the following address: [email protected].

Students under temporary protection may be accommodated in a residence hall available at CROUS until the start of the next school year. They will also be able to benefit from the accommodation/housing system offered to all beneficiaries of temporary protection. CROUS and educational institutions will be able to mobilize several social assistance measures in favor of these students (ambulance, scholarships, 1 euro meals, etc.).

Access to care

Given the urgency and precarious situation of these families, Ukrainian refugees can benefit from Universal Medical Assistance (PUMa) and Complementary Medical Assistance (CCS) upon arrival in France. To use it, you must submit a temporary residence permit issued by the prefecture to the Primary Health Insurance Fund (CPAM) in your place of residence.

Finally, the FAQ provides a legal framework for external action by local authorities. Thus, if any support for actions of a military nature is expressly excluded, local authorities and their groups can directly carry out or support actions of a humanitarian nature. Examples: one-time emergency assistance, food assistance or reconstruction assistance. In addition to funding, they may form partnerships, in particular through structures in common with foreign local authorities (eg public interest groups or companies). These partnerships are then conditional on the permission of the state’s representative in the region.

Leave a Comment